Plant Operators are responsible for the safe and efficient operation of all plant process equipment, routine maintenance, and equipment and facility cleaning. Operators will develop and maintain an understanding of plant processes including equipment conceptual operation and design, process safety, and standard operating procedures. Al-Corn Clean Fuel operates on a 24-hour continuous basis. The position entails 12 hour rotating shifts, participation in the on-call program, and occasional scheduled and unscheduled overtime.
Position reports to the Production Manager with day to day supervision by the Shift Supervisor. Position is non-exempt.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment
- Participate in safety, health, and environmental compliance programs
- Learn about all ethanol plant process operations including grain handling, cook, fermentation, distillation, drying, oxidizers, boilers, and water treatment
- Operate the digital control system for the plant.
- Collect, analyze, and report on process and quality assurance/quality control samples, and make adjustments to plant operations when necessary
- Collect process operations data and prepare daily logs to support the operation of the plant.
- Learn about and operate laboratory analytical equipment including HPLCs, PH meters, titrators, and microscopes
- Perform scheduled preventative maintenance and planned or unplanned repairs including assisting the Maintenance and Utility Operator teams where required.
- Inspect and safely operate all equipment and machinery as necessary including forklifts, telehandlers, and skid loaders
- Comply with relevant safety and compliance regulations and policies in the execution of all job tasks
- Keep the facility, including production and office areas, clean and in tour ready condition
- Be available for overtime or call-in as required
- Inspect, troubleshoot, and report on equipment operational issues including piping and mechanical problems
- Communicate verbally and in writing to coordinate with team members and other departments to safely execute Operations job tasks
- Other duties as assigned
Competencies/Preferred Job Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- 2 years experience in plant operations or equivalent production or industrial environment preferred. No experience necessary.
- Ability to read material safety data sheets (MSDS) and ready chemical labels
- Knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite and ability to learn new software applications
- Possess a valid driver’s license and be able to drive
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to odors, fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme outside weather conditions including wet, cold and/or humid conditions. The noise level in the work environment is quiet to noisy.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position requires sitting, standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, turning, reaching, climbing and balancing. The employee must frequently lift or move items up to 60 pounds. The employee must also be able to work at heights and in confined spaces. The employee must be able to drive a mechanical vehicle. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.